What are your initial three ideas for the Capstone Project?

  Before beginning on my Capstone Project, I had already brainstormed many ideas for what I could do. I was dead-set on incorporating physics and music into my creation, as they were my 'main strengths'. The first idea consists of resonating metal bars, similar to those in a wind chime, tuned to match the frequency of instrumental strings. My second idea was something intended for a similar purpose, but done using tubular pipes, which create the desired sound by definition of its length and cross-sectional radius. My Third idea, quite frankly still a concept which has not been conceptualized yet, is a window screen extension mounted through a cut out section. A small box representing a hallway for felines or other indoor pets to enjoy the sun and outside air without requiring the attention of a human. Granted many cats do already run in and out of the house unaccompanied, but it would make an interesting experience for those who are more interior inclined.

  The first idea was grand because it would solve a big problem all non-electronic instruments have: they warp to thermal expansion/shrinkage. This includes common woodwinds and strings, and to an extent brass ones as well. Picking a good metallic material which has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion would help preserve the desired sound for those not gifted with perfect pitch. Problem is, how would I acquire this desired material, and how would I shape it accordingly without the proper tools. The same concerns were heard when I asked people their opinions for this idea.

  Thus I decided to develop plan B. By utilizing pipes, obtaining the material is greatly simplified. Plastic tubing from Home Depot suffices; It's cheap, easily altered with an X-acto, and fairly resilient to moisture or temperature changes. As of right now, I'm personally pretty sold on this concept. Potential problems could include durability from wear as it is a piece of plastic after all, but it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

  My third 'concept' is still constructed from very rudimentary ideas, but it would be a protruding caged box that you could reliably attach to window frames. This concept has been done before but I could spice it up by marketing it attached to the screen. Not very set on this idea however because it does not really relate to my interested subjects.

  And there we have it. Currently heavily leaning towards number two, but we'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Summary

Is your Capstone project helping you think about your future?

What is the one trait that you believe to be the most crucial to your success? How has failure been part of your learning?